Saturday, November 23, 2013

Why Review Every Impact?

I think it was early 2004. I just got home from high school and didn't feel like doing homework yet so I turned the tv on in my living room and flipped through the channels. This was back when we only had about 80 channels. 

I was a huge wrestling fan back during the WWF/WCW era and stopped watching around 2002 when it started feeling contrived. 

So there I am, flipping through the channels when I noticed the ring. This ring had six sides. I never saw anything like that before. Then I noticed there was a time limit next to thewrestler's names at the top of the screen. This looked like they were kayfabing hard trying to make it seem like an athletic event. I was pondering why this was on Fox Sports Net and then I saw AJ Styles do his corkscrew drop. 

I was floored. Who the fuck was this guy? Why had I never seen him or heard of him before. He looked cool, his move set was super unique. I continued watching. Jeff Jarrett was there! I loved Double J. Then Team Canada walked out and I was hooked. 

I fell in love with TNA. I marked so hard for them. I started to watch some WWE too but started turning against then after Cena went from a cool anti-hero to a Jesus pushed baby face. 

I started ordering TNA pay per views. They were fantastic. I started inviting my friends over to watch them with me and they got hooked. TNA was our golden child. It was the light in the darkness. Wrestling was going to be saved thanks to TNA. 

Then something happened. I started watching less and less. Just naturally. Then I started hearing grumbles about them. Then Angle and Sting seemed to be the only ones getting air time. The X division was disappearing. The tag teams were stale and just used to push guys to the Main Event. The exciting young workers that drew me to TNA started to be overshadowed and were getting less air time. They got rid of the six sided ring. 

What happened to my hero? TNA was supposed to be the chosen one. Where did it go wrong? Can I pinpoint exactly where the end of TNA as an exciting promotion began? Or even, did we all just write them of too soon?  

I'll being in in May 2006. Christian Cage is the NWA Champion. Samoa Joe is beginning his reign of terror. Everything is looking good. 

Let's find out what happened to my baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment